UALR Scholarship Program
The following guidelines are for the administration of University of Arkansas at Little Rock (UALR) Nursing Scholarship offered by CHI St. Vincent. These scholarships are part of the collaborative agreement between CHI St. Vincent and UALR.
CHI St Vincent promotes nursing excellence by providing scholarships to students pursuing a Bachelors Degree in Nursing (BSN) or an Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) through UALR. Students must be accepted into the UALR nursing program to be eligible for this scholarship. A select number of UALR Scholarships will be awarded each year for both the Fall and the Spring semesters in the amount of either $1,000 or $2,000.
- The scholarship applicant must be enrolled in the BSN or ADN nursing program at UALR to receive the scholarship funds.
- For students already enrolled in a UALR Nursing Program a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA in the UALR nursing program and a 2.8 GPA in UALR nursing classes (coded as NURS on the UALR transcript) are required for the scholarship award.
- If the scholarship applicant is accepted by UALR and will begin course work in the BSN completion nursing program, the cumulative GPA from the Associate Degree Nursing program will be used for scholarship eligibility.
- If the scholarship applicant is accepted by UALR and will begin course work in the ADN program, only college credits from the previous 3 years will be used to calculate the cumulative GPA for scholarship eligibility. Only college credits are counted toward the GPA.
- Print and submit the CHI. St. Vincent UALR Scholarship Application
- Submit the following application requirements:
- School transcript with cumulative hours of credit and cumulative GPA. (An unofficial transcript from the school’s website is acceptable.)
- An essay (1 page typed double spaced) describing “How excellence is reflected in my professional life and in service to the Arkansas Community”.
- Two letters of professional reference (one from a clinical instructor or manager). Reference letters must be included in the submission packet.
- UALR BOSS print out that includes the financial summary of the number of hours and tuition amount for the semester.
It is essential to include all materials requested in application packet. Incomplete packets will exclude applicant from consideration for the scholarship award. Send required documents to:
Robbie Hemmer, Nurse Manager RN Residency Program
CHI St. Vincent Infirmary
2 St. Vincent Circle
Little Rock, AR 72205
Scholarship applicants are eligible to apply for scholarships for four semesters within a two year period for the ADN program and eight semesters within a four year period for the BSN degree.
Information for CHI St. Vincent Employees
A CHI St. Vincent employee may not be eligible for a scholarship if he/she has been on a work improvement plan or final written warning within the past 12 months. Upon graduation, employees without previous professional nursing experience must apply to the RN Residency Program (RNRP). Those employees who have received a UALR Nursing Scholarship must submit all RNRP application requirements by the posted deadline. There is no guarantee of a specific track in the RNRP. Late applications to the RNRP will not be considered.
The Scholarship Selection Panel members may include:
- One Clinical Educator
- One Nurse Manager
- Nurse Manager of RN Residency Program
- Human Resources Representative
After reviewing all required documents, the Scholarship Selection Panel will conduct behavioral interviews with each first-time applicant and at the discretion of CHI St. Vincent for applicants who have previously been awarded scholarships.
Scholarship Award and Commitment
Scholarship applicants will be notified of the award decision. Prior to receiving the scholarship funds, the recipient must sign a Promissory Note of Commitment, an Educational Assistance Loan Agreement and a W-9 form. Scholarship recipients must provide proof of enrollment in classes and Boss Form for the scholarship semester at this time. Scholarship funds will be disbursed according to hospital guidelines.
Scholarship Recipient Commitment
- If a scholarship recipient withdraws from the nursing program, recipient is required to repay the amount of financial assistance plus 5%.
- Recipient must sign a commitment to work at CHI St. Vincent for 12 months after completion of a BSN or an ADN, or repay the amount of assistance plus 5%.
- Recipient agrees that if recipient is a new graduate nurse, he/she must apply for acceptance into the RN Residency Program and begin the program immediately upon graduation or repay the amount of assistance plus 5%.
- If not accepted into RN Residency Program or offered employment at CHI St. Vincent, the scholarship recipient will be required to repay the amount of scholarship financial assistance plus 5%.